This weekend two of my very best girlfriends coming in to town to visit, hooray! I wanted to make sure I was prepared for the long days that we would be out roaming the city, so I decided I would make a batch of togo proteiny snacks. I was going to make the same protein bar recipe that whipped up for my Hawaii trip, until I was inspired by a fun little recipe I found in the new October issue of Oxygen Magazine for a Dark Chocolate Espresso Granola Bar . I didn't make the exact recipe because I had a few ingredients I wanted to cut out and replace, but I did use their recipe as a template. Thanks Oxygen! But before I continue with the recipe, can we all agree that Amber Elizabeth on the cover of Octobers issue is looking crazy hot?? I will answer for everyone...YES!
Oaty Walnut and Blueberry Protein Muffins - Serving is 2 muffins:
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup quinoa flour
- 3 scoops protein powder - I used no flavor Naturade Non-Soy Veggie protein powder, but I suggest using chocolate or vanilla
- 2 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon - add more if you love cinnamon!
- 2 tbsp unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1 tbsp coconut nectar or agave
- 3 packets of stevia - add more if you have a real sweet tooth!
- 1 tsp almond extract
Preheat oven to 325°F. Mix all ingredients in a bowl together. Prepare a 12 cup muffin pan with paper or foil liners. Spoon equal amounts of muffin mix into each liner. Cook muffins for 25-30 minutes. Let them cool enough to handle and remove liners. Once they have all finished cooling completely, place in snack baggies and refrigerate. Bon Appétit!