Believe it or not Chris and I don't actually have a lot of family meals together. We eat differently for our individual goals and I have allergy restrictions that he doesn't. We usually fix our food separately and then sit down to eat together when we can. Well, we wanted to switch things up a bit and do more family meals, so recently we stocked up on a bunch of high quality meats through a grocery delivery service here in NY. We wanted to give this whole family dinner thing a try. I also wanted to start using our crockpot more for things other than bone broth.
In my early 20's, I cooked one-pot-meals all the time in the crockpot. One of my favorite things was to fire up the crockpot in the morning and come home to a delicious smelling house in the afternoon, then sit down to a hassle-free dinner. Best. Thing. Ever.
So last Monday morning, that is exactly what I did. I fired up the crockpot, added our pre-cut beef, chopped up veggies - which only took minutes to prepare, sprinkled on the seasonings, and left that bad boy running all afternoon until we came home for dinner. It was amazing! Chris actually couldn't believe the yummy smell in our building hallway was coming from our apartment. Oh, but it was!
We both loved hitting the "easy button" on this family meal so we could spend less time cooking, and more time eating....and watching season 5 of The Walking Dead. Yes, please!
I was so inspired by how easy that meal was that I used the leftover raw veggies that didn't make it into the stew to make an overnight crockpot chicken dish the next day. Recipe to come soon...
In the meantime, I hope you enjoy this recipe!
Easy Paleo Crockpot Beef Stew
- 2.5-3 lbs organic beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 cups chicken or beef bone broth (I didn't have fresh broth made at the time so I used 1 cup Pacific Foods rosemary chicken bone broth and 1 cup of broth made from Kombu seeweed: 1 cup water + 2 inch Kombu, boiled 15-20 minutes)
- 2 medium onions, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 2 large russet potatoes, chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 3-4 celery sticks, chopped
- 3-4 large carrots, cut into thick slices
- 3 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp of sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
1. In a crockpot (I use an 8 Qt., but a 4-6 Qt. should work well), add broth and cubed beef.
2. Add half of all seasonings to the top of the beef.
3. Place the chopped vegetables on top of the seasoned beef and then sprinkle on the remaining seasonings over the veggies.
4. Place the lid onto the crock pot and cook on the low setting for 8 hours or if you are in a hurry, cook for 4 hours on the high setting.
5. Be prepared to have your entire house smell of amazingness, then later...Enjoy!
What is your favorite easy crockpot meal?
Disclaimer: I earn a small commission if you use some of the highlighted links to purchase products mentioned in this blog/website. I recommend only products that I would use my own home or that I would recommend to clients.
Amazon Disclaimer: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.