Chris and I are preparing our menu for our Christmas day feast this week. We have been traveling so much lately to visit family and friends for Thanksgiving and weddings, so this holiday we are enjoying it relaxing at home in Brooklyn with our dog Chili Palmer. Even though it will just be the three of us, we aren't holding back with the holiday cooking. There is nothing better than holiday leftovers to eat throughout the week!
Today, I am sharing with you one of my favorite side dish recipes which features the haricot vert or you may know it as the green bean or string bean. They are known for their beautiful rich shade of green and light delicious taste, making them a wonderful holiday side dish to brighten up any plate! It's a very versatile bean, one of the few that can be eaten fresh without having to be cooked. The green bean is actually a nutrition ninja! It's a great source of folate, fiber and vitamin K but it also high in carotenoids such as beta-carotene and lutien. Usually when we hear the word carotenoids, we normally think about red, orange and yellow vegetables but the chlorophyll in the green beans masks those colors!
Haricot Vert, Red Onion and Pecan Sauté
- 1 pound thin green beans (haricot vert), trimmed
- 2 tbsp unrefined virgin coconut oil
- 1 medium red onion, sliced thin
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- Sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add green beans and boil for 4 minutes.
2. While boiling, prepare a large bowl filled with ice and water. Once beans have boiled, drain water and plunge into ice bath to stop from cooking. Drain and pat dry.
3. Saute the onion in coconut oil a few minutes until translucent. Add in green beans and cook 2 minutes.
4. Add in thyme, pecans, salt and pepper and continue to cook an additional 2 minutes.
5. Serve hot and enjoy!
What's your favorite holiday side dish?
Disclaimer: I earn a small commission if you use some of the highlighted links to purchase products mentioned in this blog/website. I recommend only products that I would use my own home or that I would recommend to clients.
Amazon Disclaimer: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.