It's hard to believe that summer has come to an end and we will be welcoming the new fall season tomorrow! Chris and I have been holding onto summer with everything we've got and made one last beach trip last Saturday. The weather was absolutely amazing and we stayed pretty much all day. Thank goodness we chose to go Saturday because the weather immediately changed to a nice breezy fall day on Sunday. No complaints here though because we love fall just as much as summer!
Are you the type of person who holds onto to your favorite seasons? Or how about your favorite weekly meals?
It is easy to get stuck in a rut of eating the same foods over and over each week. To be honest, I find I am able to stick to a healthier meal plan when I don't have to think too much about what my next meal will be, but that can be so boring at times! So this summer, Chris and I have tried to live a little more adventurously and try some new foods and recipes to spruce up our menu. Some of the foods we have been enjoying are organic corn, shrimp, goat cheese, cauliflower pizza crusts, farina (ground brown rice), and gluten-free flatbread buns made out of tapioca flour.
One of our favorite recipes that we have made over and over is this zesty avocado shrimp and corn salsa. It's a great recipe because you can change it up each time by adding or taking away ingredients and it tastes delicious every time! We love to make ours a little spicy and with extra pink salt. :) You can enjoy the shrimp salsa over a salad, as a taco in a corn or brown rice tortilla, or on a simple organic corn tortilla chip.
This is a great recipe to try now that summer is coming to a close, because soon our shopping carts will be filled with pumpkins and squash. YUM!
I realize that not everyone can eat corn these days so I have included some swaps for corn below. Maybe you have some other favorite veggie ingredients that would taste amazing in this salsa mix. I would love to hear what amazing things you come up with so make sure to keep me posted in the comments below.
Zesty Avocado Shrimp and Corn Salsa
- 1/2 to 3/4 lb or 1.5 cups raw medium size shrimp, peeled/deveined
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil for shrimp sauté
- 2 cups organic frozen sweet corn
- 1.5 cups Roma tomato, chopped
- 1 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup avocado, chopped
- 1 lime or lemon juiced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 - 1 tsp Penzey’s forward spice or use any other spiced seasoning of your choice such as cayenne, chili and cumin powder to taste
Additional ingredients that could be added for extra flavor or substitutions:
- Fresh Cilantro
- Red or green pepper instead of corn
- Chopped zucchini instead of corn
- Jicama instead of corn
- In a sauté pan, heat a tablespoon of coconut oil over medium or medium-low heat. Add peeled shrimp, salt, pepper and forward spice to taste. Sauté a couple of minutes on each side until shrimp is pink and no longer translucent. Once done, set aside to cool. Once cool, chop shrimp into small chunks.
- Defrost frozen corn in either the microwave or on stove top with a little water. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Chop your avocado and Roma tomatoes into small cubes and dice red onion finely by hand or in a food processor. I used the Cuisinart Mini Food Prep.
- Juice your lime or lemon.
- In a large bowl, add all prepared ingredients, extra salt, pepper and forward spice and mix thoroughly.
- Place in fridge for 5-10 minutes to cool and serve with either organic tortilla chips or corn tortillas. Enjoy!
Disclaimer: We earn a small commission if you use the highlighted links to purchase the products mentioned in this post. We recommend only products that we would use in our own home or that we would recommend for our clients. Your purchases help to support our blogging activities such as creating yummy recipes to share with you and also helps us to bring even more helpful nutrition and training information to you on a weekly basis. Thank you for your continued support and for helping us continue what we LOVE to do!