Don't you just wish you could hit the reset button after an off week or a wild weekend? Maybe you ate a bunch of junk food too many nights in a row or had a few too many drinks at happy hour. You feel bloated and gross, joints are achy, and you flat out feel off balance.When you have a bender of a week, weekend, heck even a month or year...don't worry, we've all been there...you are depriving your body of vital nutrients that it needs to support your main detox organs - the liver, gall bladder, colon and kidneys. Our bodies are already experiencing toxic overloaded from the many toxins we come into contact with on a daily basis which it makes it harder for our detox organs to do their jobs and excrete toxins naturally. This overload is why we start feeling so bad and it shows up in the form of many awful symptoms that are often unexplainable!
WHERE ARE ALL THESE PESKY TOXINS COMING FROM?
The toxins that come in from outside sources such as those junky nutritionally deficient foods we eat and the many boozy beverages we had in excess are called exogenous toxins. You also accumulate even more exogenous toxins from air pollution - both indoor and outdoor, pesticides on our food and sprayed in the air, chemicals from beauty products we use on our skin, as well as cleaning products we use in our home and even the mercury dental fillings (amalgams) in your mouth. Each year, the number of chemical toxins that we are exposed to dramatically increases because currently there is no system set in place to regulate the amount and type of chemicals that companies can use in their products. Over time, these excess toxins build up in our body and create a heavy toxic burden.
If it's not bad enough that we are storing all of these toxins from our environment, our bodies are also trying to deal with the endogenous toxins that are created from inside our bodies - such as sex hormones, neurotransmitters, folate, iron, etc.
TIME FOR A DETOX!
Detoxing and cleansing occasionally is essential to keep our internal ecosystem balanced by removing the buildup of toxins that are wreaking havoc on your health. It's important to keep our detox organs running smoothly so we are able to excrete toxins efficiently. When our body is balanced, It's easier for you to manage your weight because your metabolism and digestion will be stronger, you will also have clearer glowing skin as well as stay healthier because your immune system will be stronger.
Unfortunately, detoxing has become such a fad and there is a ton of misinformation out there so people often believe that they have to starve themselves by fasting or juicing in order to detox. But that's simply not the case! You can start right now just by eating delicious nutrient-rich detoxifying foods!
NUTRIENT-RICH DETOXIFYING FOODS
- Carrots, garlic, onions, eggs and salmon to support Glutathione production
- Brazil nuts are rich in Selenium which helps your body recycle and produce even more glutathione. Just two a day provides your body with all the selenium it needs.
- Flaxseed provides Fiber to help your digestion move along. If your bowels aren't moving then toxins will build up in the colon creating a more toxic environment.
- Carrots, eggs, and salmon contain essential B vitamins
- Cilantro to assist with the removal of heavy metals
- Grapefruit provides fiber, it's packed with vitamins and nutrients that will help to replenish the nutrients that your body needs in order to repair damaged cells in your body, and may promote weight loss
Now these are just a taste of a few great foods for detoxifying your body, there are tons more that you can incorporate into your diet daily!
THE 24 HOUR DETOX
This is a quick 24 hour detox modified from Alisa Vitta at Flo Living that will help get you to bounce back and reset your body! Use the detox as a guide, you will ultimately have to decide on the right portion sizes that you need in order to fuel your body. Just remember, THERE'S NO STARVING IN DETOXING! If you feel like you need a 48 hour detox, then you can just repeat this meal plan for the 2nd day. Make sure you are drinking a lot of water throughout the day to help flush out toxins!
- Hot water with the juice of one lemon on an empty stomach
- Green apple with sugar free sunflower butter
- Green smoothie:
- blend romaine lettuce, 1/2 inch ginger, cucumber, celery, juice of 1/2 of lemon, 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- Raw fennel celery, and apple salad
- 1/2 fennel head, cored and sliced thin
- 1 rib of celery chopped
- 1/2 chopped apple
- Juice of 1/2 of a lemon
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp ground flax seeds
- Toss all ingredients together
- Cilantro and onion omelet
- Whisk together 3 organic eggs, 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, sea salt and pepper
- Oil pan with 1/2 tbsp coconut oil, add 1/4 cup chopped onion and cook for a couple minutes
- Add remaining ingredients into pan. Cook thoroughly, lifting edges of the omelet and tilting the pan to allow the uncooked egg mixture to flow underneath and cook evenly.
- Melon in season or Grapefruit (choose one)
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- Asparagus, onions & Garlic
- Chopped and roasted at 425 degrees with coconut oil, with salt and pepper
- See recipe below
- Steamed with cinnamon
- 2 Brazil nuts
- 2 dates
Garlic Dill Salmon - serves 4
- 1 pound salmon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried dill weed or 1 Tbsp fresh
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp onion powder
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Rinse fish and put into a 9x13 baking dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sauté garlic in olive oil for 2 minutes. Add dill, lemon juice, and onion powder and pour over fish. Bake in preheated oven for about 15 minutes, basting with remaining sauce after 7 minutes. Do not overcook. Fish is done with flakes easily with a fork. Enjoy!